Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Co Dependent No more: A Seven-Step Process to Getting what You want Without Feeling bad About it.

Okay, I have to admit. I have a co dependent personality. Of course, I’ve always prided myself on being self-sufficient and independent. However, my relationships were telling me otherwise. For some odd reason, I kept attracting the same types of people into my life: users, manipulators, and takers. I had to ask myself, is the world a bad place? Of course, the answer to that question is no. The sad truth of the matter is that I was in a bad place. I was attracting these people into my life to help me heal and get better, but I simply wasn’t strong enough, or conscious enough to understand the lesson the Universe was given me. So I decided to write down a seven-step process that helped me heal, with the intentions of helping others.

1.     Understand Co-dependency.

Before I start to write any blog or create a video. I do research on the Internet. I wanted to find a no nonsense, actionable plan that could help people recover from this debilitating personality disorder.  I came across Melody Beattie’s book, Co Dependent No More, and was blown away by her courage and resiliency. Here was a woman who had overcome alcoholism, drug addiction, and sexual abuse, and had lived to talk about it. I was truly inspired and decided that I wanted to share some of my own insights about overcoming codependency. I believe that codependency is more than just being an enabler, or someone with low self-esteem. It’s really a disorder that stems from the lack of power.


2.     C- dependency is the result of unresolved trauma and grief.

My mother became ill when I was very young. She suffered from a mental disorder that carried an embarrassing stigma. In six months, my life transformed, where I was whisked away and forced to live with my extended family. Grief and trauma are overwhelming for children. They simply don’t have the mental capacity to deal with those kinds of intense emotions. So as a coping mechanism, the mind buries the trauma in the unconscious mind, thus saving the pain and trauma for later. This is perhaps why many people start to experience mental illness such as depression and anxiety in their early twenties. The trauma and pain can no longer be suppressed, so the body gets sick, to make an attempt to heal.

3.     Co-dependency is a matter of conditioning.

I can’t stand it when people say” she doesn’t love herself?”
What does that mean?  Then, I would get pissed off and wonder why people would be so bold and heartless as to take advantage of someone in their most vulnerable state. You see co-dependency is a kind of conditioning that starts when we are younger. People who suffer from co-dependency tend to grow up in dysfunctional families where they were abused and or neglected. In these types of situations they have to work hard to compete for limited resources. Of course, these resources include love, nurturing, and attention.  So people get into the deadly habit of making sacrifices to please others, because that’s the only way they know how to get love. This is especially true with women who are typecast as easy, or being a hoe. These women sacrifice themselves every time they sleep with a strange man. Sadly, they can’t stop; because that’s the only way they know how to get love.

4.     Co-dependency is a bad habit that you have to break.

Yes, like smoking, gambling, and eating junk food. Co-dependency is an addiction that is slowly killing you.  This happens because everything in nature works on exchanges. We have the national and international commerce system, we trade money for time, and we trade oxygen for carbon, so on and so forth. So when you don’t make proper exchanges, you lose. You not only lose self-respect and diminish your sense of self worth. You lose the personal power that is needed for you to change, heal, and even manifest great things.

5.     Co-dependents need to stop being delusional.

The hardest thing in the world is to realize that everything that you ever believed about yourself was an illusion.  However, the re-awakening is a painful—yet necessary part of the healing process. Throughout most of my life, I truly believed that I was being nice. Then, I realized that there is no such thing as being nice. Niceness is an illusion.  Co-dependents need to understand that people are goal oriented. It is just their nature. Furthermore, they have to understand that people will do whatever they can to get their needs met. So when you begin a relationship and you start being nice, you tell people that they can get their needs met without having to make the proper exchanges. This results in lopsided relationships, where the co-dependent ends up feeling drained, and used.

Now, there is a such thing as being kind. However, kindness is only reserved for those who are in a position to be kind. These people give, and are totally detached from the outcome.

6.     Co-dependents can’t control what’s out of control.

Co-dependents tend to be delusional. They create pictures of who they believe people are in their heads, and then expect other people to live up to their unrealistic expectations.  Co-dependents simply can’t accept people for who and what they are, simply because they don’t know who they are. They never took the time to get to know them.  So they compare their spouse to the delusional prototype in their heads. Of course, she can never measure up. So a co-dependent will control everything down to her spouse’s final breath to ensure that he is living up to her ridiculously high standards.  Of course, the co-dependent is never satisfied, and the more her spouse gives, the more she wants. This is madness! People are flawed. They make mistakes. Deal with it.

7.     Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want.

Co dependents tend to have issues with boundaries. They simply will choose to stay silent because they don’t want to upset anyone. In truth, co-dependents don’t want to upset people because they are fearful of losing the relationship, and the love that they get from it. So people, being people, will try and take more and more and more. The co-dependent copes by burying her head into the sand, choosing to believe that everyone engages in such dysfunctional behaviors. All men cheat, all children talk back to their parents, all bosses expect their employees to work for free. We allow these things to happen because we are afraid. So, we need to confront the things that we are most afraid of. I know, the process is scary at first, but after a while, you’ll get the hang of it.


Key to overcoming co-dependency

The key to overcoming co dependency is not about loving yourself. Besides, I don’t even know what that means. The key to recovery is understanding your personal power, and that everything in life works based on exchanges. Recovery is about getting real with yourself, letting go of illusions. Stop trying to get people to like you, because in the end, you have no control over how they think and what they feel. Instead, focus on yourself, build a strong foundation where you can confront your fears and gain the courage to ask for the things that you desire most. This is the best

way to recover from co-dependency.

No comments:

Post a Comment